Bike-gasm. That’s how I feel when I look at the lineup from Kraus motorcycles, a company that inspires me to ride. The style, design, engineering and craftsmanship meld together to enhance the bond between man and machine. Kraus is creating the future of motorcycles with their ingenuity, exciting accessories and attention to detail.
Named after a South American cactus, the Achuma is Kraus’s most popular model, marrying features from old, vintage Harley-Davidson Shovelheads and motocross bikes.
The founder of Kraus Motorcycles is 35-year-old Satya Kraus. He attributes his success to riding dirtbikes, wishing for his bikes to have the suspension and maneuverability of the moto-x bikes, but with the road-friendly qualities of a chopper.
I mean, it works, just look at this damn bike…
Kraus studied engineering books and began fabricating bikes—100% self taught. The first thing one will notice about the Achuma is that nothing is painted—not even the frame. The real-metal finish gives the bike a slight steampunk/imperfection look that actually looks incredibly clean.
Its raw metal bronze finish changes throughout its lifetime, taking on different shades depending on the weather and location of the bike’s home. The air oxidizes, making the polish take on a different color over time. It’s an ever-evolving motorcycle, creating its own unique experiences and memories for each owner. It is that feeling and performance that gives Kraus an edge over other bikes.
Here are the bike specs:
- Year/Make/Model: 2010 / Kraus Motor Co. / Achuma
- Fabrication: Kraus Motor Co.
- Assembly: Kraus Motor Co.
- Build time: 4.5 months
- Engine: Kraus modified S&S Shovelhead 93”H
- Cases: S&S
- Rods: S&S
- Pistons: S&S
- Cylinders: S&S
- Heads: S&S
- Cam: S&S
- Ignition: S&S
- Carb: S&S Super E
- Pipes: Kraus Motor Co. Stainless 2 into 1 with a reverse cone.
- Air Cleaner: Kraus Motor Co.
- Transmission: Baker Powerbox 6 speed
- Primary: BDL open belt 2”
- Clutch: BDL
- Frame: Kraus Motor Co. dual shock swingarm
- Rake: 28˚
- Stretch: 0
- Forks: Kraus Motor Co. springer with Foes Racing air shock
- Fork length (+ or -): 0
- Additional rake in trees: 0
- Front wheel: 17 x 3.5
- Rear wheel: 17 x 5.5
- Front Tire (size and make): Dunlop D607 130/80R17
- Rear Tire (size and make): Dunlop D616 180/55ZR17
- Front Brake: ISR 4 piston radial caliper, 320mm floating rotor
- Rear Brake: ISR 6 piston sproket brake
- Fuel Tank: Aluminum Kraus Motor Co.
- Oil Tank: Aluminum Kraus Motor Co.
- Fenders: Aluminum rear tail section
- Handlebars: Kraus Motor Co. Moto tapered bars
- Sissy bar:
- Headlight: Kraus Motor Co. Aluminum Dual PIA
- Taillight: Kraus Motor Co. Ultra Bright LED
- Hand Controls: ISR Radial Racing
- Grips: Renthal Rubber
- Foot Controls: Kraus Motor Co. stainless mid controls
- Pegs: Pro Taper
- Electrical: Kraus Motor Co.
- Painter: none
- Color: Raw Aluminum sheet metal and bronze metal coating on frame
- Polishing: Kraus Motor Co.
- Seat: Obie Beaver – Beaver Leather Craft